Dandelion Salve


Dandelion Salve
Uses: Arthritis and Joint Pain

*Catsear can also be used, in place of Dandelion

My Mema, who is 93, has had arthritis ever since I can remember. She always rubbed some type of salve or lotion on her knees and hands but it never seemed to work. I made her this and she swears by it! Now I'm making it for my Aunts as well as my Mom. 

Salves are very easy to make! So here is my recipe for my Dandelion Salve.

The first time I made this I only used the flowers. The Oil was not as strong as I anticipated and did not work as well. The second time I used the roots and leaves along with the flowers, it came out stronger and worked better. 

Make sure the Dandelions you pick have not been sprayed with weed killer or any other poison.

What you need:
Utensils: 
Dandelion infused oil
Large Mason Jar
1 Jar lid
Pot
Disposable Stir Sticks or Fork
Measuring Spoons & Cups
Containers for your Salve

To Make Dandelion Oil:

Ingredients:
Dandelion; Flowers, Leaves, and Roots
Carrier Oil; Olive, Sunflower, Avocado, Almond, etc.
Beeswax (I use the Pellets, it's quicker to melt)
Optional: Essential Oils

First, I always pick and rinse the dirt and possible bugs from my herbs. Then I set them aside to dry using a dehydrator. If you do not have one, set your oven on the lowest temperature, bake until you can crunch the leaves or the roots can snap easily. The flowers don't take quite as long as the leaves and roots.

Next, I add the herbs into my carrier oil, I used extra virgin sunflower oil for this batch. Now the herb has to infuse into the oil. You can use Solar Infusion or Stove-top. You can do this either way, I usually do both but it's up to you. 

Solar: Set in a windowsill or on a counter-top and let it infuse for a few weeks. 

This method is best using dry herbs ONLY. Fresh herbs will mold and you won't be able to use your oil.

Stove-top: Make a double broiler and keep your burner at about 3-4 and let it infuse for 4-6 hours. 

You can use fresh or dry herbs with this method. After I do the Solar Method, I strain my dry herbs from the original oil, then place fresh herbs into the oil and let it simmer. *Make sure to get all of the fresh plant matter out of the oil once you're through. 


Once your oil is infused, strain your oil using cheesecloth and a strainer. Then dispose of the herbs.

Now to make the Salve, to make a 2 oz container, use 1/4 cup Dandelion oil. Start off with 1/2 tablespoon of beeswax, keep adding until you have your desired consistency. I end up using 1 tbsp. This salve is best creamier, it makes it easier to spread onto your body. However, if you wish to have this more like a balm, use 2 tablespoons of beeswax. 
If you are like me and don't really care for the smell of Dandelion's you can add few drops of essential oils.

Steps:
Fill up your pot with enough water to cover half of your jar. Measure out your oil and put it into a clean jar. Add in your beeswax and melt, stir occasionally. Once completely melted, remove from heat and stir in essential oils if you wish. Pour into your desired container/s let cool before putting your lids on. 

Store out of direct sunlight for a longer shelf life. The shelf life is probably between 3-12 months. Everyone I know uses it too fast for it to spoil! So I'm not exactly sure when it would or will expire.

This can also be used to heal Sunburns!

*Not approved by the FDA
*Use at your own risk!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pine & Mint Headache Balm

Infusing Liquids